Welcome to the Benefice...
This is the website of the United Benefice of Great Torrington - comprised of Great Torrington, Little Torrington, Frithelstock and Taddiport Churches. North Devon, UK.
St. Michael & All Angels' Church, Great Torrington
We are a friendly, welcoming church rooted in the Catholic tradition of the Church of England, committed to dignified worship, good music and orthodox teaching. You are most welcome to join us at any of our services.
Click here for more info.
A Guide to the Church
Humphrey, a priest, was instituted as Vicar here on 22 February 1259. So there has been a parish church here for 700 years, and probably much longer than that. The oldest parts of this building are 14th century. Leyland’s Itinerary of about 1538 says, “Torington is a great large toune and stondith on the brow of an hille and hath 3 fair streates yn it and a good market everywke, and ons a yere apon St Michal’s day the best fayr in al those quarters. In the toune is but one paroch chirch. Dr Chaumbre is personne thereof.”
THE HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
Little Torrington was originally a Saxon Settlement called Toritona. The Domesday survey of 1086 records that before the Norman Conquest in 1066 the Manor of Toritona was held by a Saxon called Edmar during the reign of Edward the Confessor (1042-1066). It is possible, therefore, that the first church to be built here was Saxon, dating from the early 11th century.
WELCOME to Frithelstock Town and to the ancient Church dedicated to the Mother of our Lord and to the Pope who sent missionaries to convert our heathen forefathers to the Christian Faith and found the English Church.
Taddiport and the leper fields, from Castle Hill
From Castle Hill in Torrington there is a fine view over the Torridge to the parish of Little Torrington. In the bottom of the valley, on the Little Torrington side, by a fine mediaeval bridge, is the hamlet of Taddiport. A little further upstream are two narrow strip fields, popularly known as "leper fields", all that remain of a larger number which were there in living memory.